This detour, a 5.4 kilometer walk along Yerseke's most striking landmarks, was put together by villagers. For this detour (purple line on map) follow the yellow arrows along the way with the Zilte Route logo. You can also route via the other (junction) numbers of the walking network.
St. Odulphus Church, national monument from the 16th century
This Reformed church is the remnant of a medieval Gothic church, the nave of which burned in 1532 and the tower demolished in 1821. A new tower was built in 1887. During the war in 1940, the church and tower were completely destroyed and rebuilt after the war. The preserved choir section dates from the second half of the 15th century. In the east wall in the gate above the door is a memorial stone from 1603.
Former Town Hall
One of the most beautiful monumental buildings in Yerseke, is the former town hall, built in 1914. The Oosterscheldemuseum (Eastern Scheldt Museum) has been housed in the building since 1995.
Eastern Scheldt Museum
Visitors are taken on a journey through the history of oyster and mussel culture. Through more than 1,600 objects, the story of the drowned land of Zuid-Beveland and the role the Eastern Scheldt played in the creation of Yerseke is told.
The musselman of stone and bronze was placed in 1981, the artist is Lou Boonman. The statue is placed so that the musselman looks out over the harbor - the Oosterschelde at his back - and sees many cutters sailing by him every day. The statue was an initiative of the Municipality of Reimerswaal to emphasize that Yerseke is the center of mussel and oyster culture, with financial support from the Fishermen's Association of Yerseke. Yerseke. At the opening of the Julianahaven, Queen Juliana unveiled the statue.
The oyster pits are used by shellfish farmers in Yerseke, who "rest" their oysters in the oyster pits. These oysters have just been fished up from the waters of the Eastern Scheldt and Grevelingen. By species, they lie in numbered pits waiting to be packaged and sold. The oyster pits and sheds around them date back to 1873 and are owned by the oyster farmers.
Yerseke has three harbors for commercial and pleasure craft: the Prins Willem-Alexanderhaven is the yacht harbor with about 190 berths, the Prinses Beatrixhaven is the yacht/passenger harbor with about 100 berths and the Koningin Julianahaven is the fishing harbor with also about 100 berths. Yerseke residents also refer to the harbors as the "1st Kaaie, 2nd Kaaie and 3rd Kaaie". The 3rd harbor is Yerseke's youngest harbor.
NIOZ Royal Dutch Institute for Sea Research
For 40 years, the stately building at Vierstraat 28 has housed the Delta Institute, set up in 1957 to study the effects of the Delta Works. The institute (now called NIOZ) now conducts research into climate change and biodiversity, from the Antarctic to Greenland, to find out how we as humanity can make the best use of and protect the sea and the coast. Students from all over the world come to Yerseke to be trained as marine researchers. What a small village can be big at!